We have compiled a list of Senators who echoed the Obamacare talking point lie, that ‘if you like your healthcare plan, you can keep it’ and who’s Senate seats are up for re-election in 2014.
There are fifteen (15) Democratic Senators who are up for re-election in 2014, eleven (11) are on our list.
Here are the eleven Senators (some retiring) who lied about the Affordable Health Care plan (This list was taken from the Byron York Article: 27 Democratic senators who promised you could keep your health coverage)
- DICK DURBIN (D-IL): “We believe — and we stand by this — if you like your current health insurance plan, you will be able to keep it, plain and simple, straightforward.” (Sen. Durbin, Congressional Record, S.6401, 6/10/09)
- MAX BAUCUS (D-MT.): “That is why one of the central promises of health care reform has been and is: If you like what you have, you can keep it. That is critically important. If a person has a plan, and he or she likes it, he or she can keep it.” (Sen. Baucus, Congressional Record, S.7676, 9/29/10)
- TOM HARKIN (D-IA): “One of the things we put in the health care bill when we designed it was the protection for consumers to keep the plan they have if they like it; thus, the term ‘grandfathered plans.’ If you have a plan you like — existing policies — you can keep them. … we said, if you like a plan, you get to keep it, and you can grandfather it in.” (Sen. Harkin, Congressional Record, S.7675-6, 9/29/10)
- MARK BEGICH (D-AK): “If you got a doctor now, you got a medical professional you want, you get to keep that. If you have an insurance program or a health care policy you want of ideas, make sure you keep it. That you can keep who you want.” (Sen. Begich, Townhall Event, 7/27/09)
- KAY HAGAN (D-NC): ‘People who have insurance they’re happy with can keep it’ “We need to support the private insurance industry so that people who have insurance they’re happy with can keep it while also providing a backstop option for people without access to affordable coverage.” (“Republicans Vent As Other Compromise Plans Get Aired,” National Journal’s Congress Daily, 6/18/09)
- MARY LANDRIEU (D-LA): “If you like the insurance that you have, you’ll be able to keep it.” (MSNBC’s Hardball, 12/16/09)
- JEFF MERKLEY (D-OR.): “[E]nsuring that those who like their insurance get to keep it” “The HELP Committee bill sets forward a historic plan that will, for the first time in American history, give every American access to affordable health coverage, reduce costs, and increase choice, while ensuring that those who like their insurance get to keep it.” (Sen. Merkley, Press Release, 7/15/09)
- JAY ROCKEFELLER (D-WVA): “I want people to know, the President’s promise that if you like the coverage you have today you can keep it is a pledge we intend to keep.” (U.S. Senate, Finance Committee, Hearing, 9/23/09)
- JACK REED (D-RI): “If you like the insurance you have, you can choose to keep it.” (Sen. Reed, Town Hall Event, 6/25/09)
- JEANNE SHAHEEN (D-NH): ‘if you have health coverage that you like, you get to keep it’ “My understanding … is that … if you have health coverage that you like you can keep it. As I said, you may have missed my remarks at the beginning of the call, but one of the things I that I said as a requirement that I have for supporting a bill is that if you have health coverage that you like you should be able to keep that. …under every scenario that I’ve seen, if you have health coverage that you like, you get to keep it.” (Sen. Shaheen, “Health Care Questions From Across New Hampshire,” Accessed 11/13/13)
- TOM UDALL (D-NM.): “Some worried reform would alter their current coverage. It won’t. If you like your current plan, you can keep it.” (“What I Learned: About Health Care Reform This Summer, By Your Lawmakers In Congress,” Albuquerque Journal, 9/8/09)
According to Newsmax Vulnerable Democratic senators up for re-election continue to signal dissatisfaction with the way President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare program has been implemented.
Newsmax and others point to several Senate seats mentioned on this list (will be indicated in Red) that were already vulnerable to being replaced by Republicans in 2014 before the Obamacare implementation failures.
Politisite sees the potential to pick up an additional two seats mentioned on this list. If that were to happen, Republicans would control the Senate.
- Names of 27 Democrat Senators who lied about ObamaCARE (fireandreamitchell.com)
- The List Democrats Do Not Want You to See: 27 Senate Democrats Who Lied To Americans About Keeping Their Health Plans Under Obamacare… (redflagnews.com)