Any way you slice it, $287, 273 is a lot of money, especially in this economy. For one-term Senator Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., up for re-election in 2012, that’s the amount of personal property taxes she failed to pay since 2007 on a plane she and her husband, a millionaire businessman, partially owned.
The senator said she had done her own “thorough review” of all 89 flights she had taken following a political controversy that erupted recently over the same plane that was first reported by Politico.
The senator had used the plane for political purposes paying for the travel with taxpayer money from her Senate office, a “mistake,” the senator said, for which she reimbursed the government nearly $89,000. “All of the money has been repaid for the public funds,” McCaskill said Monday.
The senator said she had paid sales taxes on the plane, both local and state, evidence, she said, that she had made no attempt to duck her financial responsibility. “I want to reiterate, there was no attempt to evade the plane…This is just a mistake that I take full responsibility for.”
But Republicans did not buy the explanation from McCaskill, a top GOP target in 2012. “In the past two weeks, we have learned that Claire McCaskill billed taxpayers for political travel and failed to pay nearly $300,000 in personal property taxes on her plane. Over the last four years, cash-strapped school districts and the children in these schools have been deprived of these much-need funds,” Missouri Republican Party chairman David Cole blasted in a statement from his office.
The National Republican Senatorial Committee quickly pounced releasing a video after the senator’s admission showing McCaskill in 2006 telling voters, “If my walk doesn’t match my talk, then shame on me and don’t ever vote for me again.”
- Good Grief… Claire McCaskill Failed to Pay Over $200,000 in Taxes on Plane (gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com)
- McCaskill repays nearly $300,000 for unpaid taxes on plane (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Claire McCaskill: Wait, did I forget to pay $287,000 in property taxes on my private jet? (hotair.com)
- Wanted: Buyer for Claire McCaskill’s Airplane (michellemalkin.com)
- McCaskill Admits Owing Back Property Taxes On Plane (hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com)
- Democrat Senator McCaskill Failed To Pay $287,000 In Taxes On Aircraft (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)